So, I spent my afternoon with a microphone pressed against my lower stomach. And once I got over the fact that a man was squishing, poking, and prodding my least favorite body part, it was actually pretty awesome. Why, you ask? Because I got to hear my baby's first words! It went a little something like this, "whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh." My midwife, Ron, said the baby sounded smart, and I had to agree.
Okay, so maybe she wasn't talking per say, but she did make a noise- a cute, fast, oceany little swooshy sound, otherwise known as her heartbeat. And as far as we could tell, everything is going swimmingly down there (no pun intended- okay, maybe a little intended).
By know I'm sure you've noticed that I've been using the pronoun "she." This, of course, is just a writing choice used to eliminate the repetition of "the baby" or the bulkiness of "he or she" and does not reflect any knowledge not yet divulged. However, I did read that girls' heartbeats are often faster than 140 beats per minute, while boys' are usually slower. Unfortunately, Ron didn't count the beats, so we're still totally in the dark. I think it will be two months before we get to know that.
Don't worry blogosphere, you'll be the first to know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment